The Best Guacamole
Want to be a hero? Bring this guacamole to your next gathering. This recipe is the perfect dish to bring to a backyard dinner party, a beach picnic, or even for a night-in with margaritas, tacos, and friends.
- 6 Medium sized ripe Hass avocados
- 1 and 1/4 Cups diced white onion about 3/4 of a medium white onion, shallot works as well
- 1 Cup packed cilantro leaves and stems freshly chopped
- 4-5 Tablespoons freshly squeezed lime juice
- 1 to 1 and 1/2 Serrano or Jalapeño pepper finely diced (remove the seeds before dicing for less heat)
- Kosher salt
Slice the avocados in half lengthwise, remove pits, and scoop the avocado out of the peels and into a medium mixing or serving bowl.
Add the white onion, cilantro, 4 tablespoons lime juice, serrano or jalapeño, and several very generous pinches of kosher salt to the bowl. Gently mix and mash with a fork, potato masher, or pastry cutter, until combined but still leaving a good amount of texture.
Taste and adjust flavors to taste. Want more heat? Chop up more peppers and mix them in. More brightness and acid? More fresh lime juice! Can't quite figure out what it's missing? More salt!
Enjoy with tortilla chips, served on tacos, in burrito bowls, and more.