I love making homemade pie dough. It’s one of those recipes that can feel intimidating until you try it yourself, and I’m here to make it easier for you! You need a few simple ingredients and you can even make a few batches and freeze them for a rainy day, or if you’re like me, for a warm day when all the summer produce is in its peak season!
This recipe makes enough for one crust, which is perfect for a crostata or galette. Double the recipe to make a pie with a top and bottom crust. You’ll notice I share a range of measurements for both the amount of flour and ice water in this recipe. Start with the lower end of the range for each: 1 and 1/4 cups of flour and 3 tablespoons of ice water. From there, you can always add more. If the dough is feeling a bit dry and crumbly, add a bit more ice water. If the dough is feeling too sticky and wet, gradually add a bit more flour. Once shaped, pop dough into the freezer for 30 minutes, or the fridge for an hour before rolling out to use.
Homemade Pie Dough
- 1 and 1/4 Cups All-Purpose Flour you may end up using another 1/2 cup of flour, start with 1 and 1/4 cups first
- 1/4 Teaspoon Kosher Salt
- 8 Tablespoons or 1 stick Cold Unsalted Butter, cut into tiny cubes
- 3-4 Tablespoons Ice Cold Water
- In a food processor or using your hands, gently pulse or mix 1 and 1/4 cups of flour and salt.
- Pulse in the cubes of butter until they are about the size of peas.
- Drizzle in the first 3 tablespoons of ice cold water and pulse a few times until the dough just starts to come together. The dough should start together when you press it in your hands. If it's a little on the dry side, add the additional tablespoon of water. If the dough is a little on the wet side, gradually add a bit more flour.
- On a floured surface, bring the dough together with your hands, shape it into a disc, wrap is saran wrap, and refrigerate for at least 1 hour or pop in the freezer for 30 minutes before rolling out for use.
- One the dough is chilled, when you are ready to assemble, roll it out and use in your favorite recipe.
Homemade pie dough is a great recipe staple to have in your back pocket. Save this recipe, and be sure to check out my other recipe staples, such as pesto, red sauce, guacamole, and more.
Did you make this recipe?
I want to see your delicious creation! Leave me a comment below, and share a photo and tag me on Instagram with the hashtag, #whatannieseating !