Sparkling ginger and lime margaritas are the perfect addition to your Cinco De Mayo menu, or really for any time of year. If you haven’t tried ginger in a cocktail, I am here to convert you. Fresh ginger imparts an incredibly refreshing flavor, and almost a hint of spice to your drink, which is a fun take on the ever trendy spicy margarita. The combination of fresh ginger, ice cold tequila, and fresh lime juice tastes so much better than any storebought mix. Add some sparkling water for some fizz, and serve alongside tacos, chips, and guac.
I add ginger to this recipe by making a ginger simple syrup. It’s very concentrated, so a little goes a long way. You could even make your simple syrup a few nights before you plan on making drinks, as it keeps in a sealed container in the fridge for up to two weeks.
The below margarita recipe itself makes one drink, but you could multiply it for however many people you want and it’d make a great pitcher cocktail, just be sure to add the sparkling water right before serving. The simple syrup makes just over 8 ounces, or about 1 cup, which is enough for 5 cocktails.
A few tips to take your margarita makin’ to the next level:
- Keep the tequila and your glass(es) in the freezer to get them nice and chilled.
- You’ll also want to pop your sparkling water in the fridge ahead of time, and make sure you’ve got a couple of ice cubes in the freezer for your drink.
- To add a salt rim, run a lime wedge over the rim of your glass, and dip the top of your glass into a plate with a pile of salt on it before pouring the ingredients into your glass.
Sparkling Ginger + Lime Margaritas
- Ginger Simple Syrup
- 3 Ounces fresh ginger ok to keep the peel on
- 1/2 Cup water
- 1/2 Cup sweetener of your choice such as honey, maple syrup, or date syrup - (I prefer to use Just Date Syrup to keep this completely refined sugar-free! Works like a dream. It's an awesome low-glycemic substitute for white sugar, agave, honey or maple syrup and so delicious!)</li></ul>
- Sparkling Ginger + Lime Margarita
- 1 and 1/2 Ounces chilled silver tequila
- 1/2 Ounce fresh lime juice about the juice of one half lime
- 1 and 1/2 Ounces ginger simple syrup
- 6 Ounces chilled unsweetened lime flavored sparkling water
- Additional lime wedge or sliced disc of lime for serving
- Salt - see above note to learn how to make a salt rim on your glass.
- First, prepare the simple syrup by roughly chopping up the ginger into small pieces, or grating it, and combining it with the water and sweetener in a small saucepan.
- Warm everything over medium heat for several minutes, stirring occasionally until the sweetener has dissolved. Remove the pan from heat and let it sit, steep, and cool for 30 minutes. Pour the entire simple syrup mixture into a high powered blender and blend until almost completely smooth. Strain it over a fine mesh strainer into a jar.</li></ol>
- To a chilled glass, add the tequila, fresh lime juice, and simple syrup and give everything a gentle stir. Top with sparkling water, and several ice cubes.
- Garnish with lime, and enjoy!
Did you make this recipe?
I want to see your delicious creation! Leave me a comment below, and share a photo and tag me on Instagram with the hashtag, #whatannieseating !
This recipe is part of a collaboration to celebrate Cinco de Mayo, hosted by Kate Ramos of Hola Jalapeño! Every year Kate organizes #margaritaweek, seven festive days of sharing all kinds of delicious margarita recipes.Be sure to check out all of the fabulous and festive recipes over at the Margarita Week page, cheers!