Headed to a Friendsgiving or Thanksgiving dinner this year? Or just craving some hearty fall flavors? No matter what dinner plans you’ve got coming up this season, this roasted delicata squash salad will be a welcome addition to any Fall menu. Power greens like baby kale and arugula, tossed with my lemon shallot vinaigrette are a great base for any salad, and during cooler months I love to roast seasonal vegetables to top this salad. One of my favorite kinds of squash this season is delicata squash, because of course it’s delicious but it’s also so easy to prep! For added flavor and texture, I top this dish with pomegranate seeds, toasted hazelnuts, and lots of freshly grated parm to bring it all together.
If you want to learn all about the cooking technique behind making this dish – roasting vegetables, making your own salad dressing, and how to make your life easier, healthier, and more delicious when cooking around the holidays , head to my YouTube channel to catch the Instagram live video I did with my friend Cara, of Cara’s Kitchen! I’ll cover the basics of cooking techniques 101, and Cara will tell you everything you need to know about the nutritional information for this salad, AND her delicious cauliflower mash that she tops with crispy brussels sprouts! Be sure to check out her site for her delicious recipe and to follow along with her – she is a wealth of information for all things body wisdom, wellness, nutrition, and more!
- 2 delicata squash, sliced lengthwise, seeded, and sliced into ½" half moon shapes
- 2 Tablespoons Olive oil
- 10 Ounces leafy greens - I love baby kale, arugula, baby chard, etc. You can easily use one of these greens or buy a "power greens" mix at the market
- Pomegranate Seeds
- Toasted + chopped hazelnuts
- Freshly shaved parmesan cheese (omit this ingredient to keep the salad vegan)
- Freshly grated lemon zest
- Lemon + Shallot Vinaigrette:
- 2 Teaspoons finely diced shallot
- Zest and juice of 1 small lemon (or of ½ large lemon)
- ½ Teaspoon dijon mustard
- 1 Tablespoon balsamic vinegar or champagne vinegar
- 3 Tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- Optional: drizzle of honey for sweetness if needed
- Preheat your oven to 425*.
- Arrange sliced squash on a baking sheet lined with parchment paper or foil, toss with 2 tablespoons of olive oil, or enough to coat, and a generous pinch or two of salt, and freshly cracked pepper.
- Once the oven has fully preheated, roast the squash for 20-25 minutes, until squash is slightly golden brown. Toss or flip the squash halfway through.
- While the squash is roasting, make the vinaigrette by combining all ingredients except for the olive oil in a bowl by whisking. Slowly whisk in the olive oil to fully incorporate and emulsify the dressing and set aside.
- When the squash is done roasting, toss the greens with the dressing and half of your squash, half of the pomegranate, half of the toasted hazelnuts and half of the grated parm. Top the salad with the other half of your ingredients, and additional lemon zest if you prefer. I like to prepare the salad this way so everything is well incorporated and all of the toppings don't fall to the bottom of the bowl. Plus, it looks gorgeous!
Did you make this recipe?
I want to see your delicious creation! Leave me a comment below, and share a photo and tag me on Instagram with the hashtag, #whatannieseating !