I’ve got the perfect summer dessert for you! My strawberry and rhubarb crumble. Rhubarb is the perfect tart counterpoint to sweet summer strawberries, and they are baked under a buttery and crumbly topping in this delicious recipe. I’ve been making this crumble all summer long, and I will keep making it until rhubarb stops showing up at the markets! Serve this for dessert at your next dinner party or bring it to a summer BBQ – it’s easy to assemble, and it’s incredibly delicious on it’s own or with a scoop of vanilla ice cream. As an added bonus, baking this pie will make your kitchen smell absolutely incredible! Your friends might start calling you Martha.
I used my 10″ lodge cast iron skillet to bake this, but you could use another baking dish with a similar size.
- 3 Cups Strawberries, chopped
- 3 Cups Rhubarb, chopped into 1" inch slices
- Up to 1 Cup Sugar (if you have really sweet strawberries, maybe try about ¾ cups)
- 3 Tablespoons Corn Starch
- ¼ Teaspoon salt
- Crumble Topping:
- ¾ Cups Rolled Oats
- ¾ Cups All Purpose Flour
- ½ Cup brown or granulated sugar
- 6 Tablespoons of butter, melted
- Preheat oven to 375* F
- Mix filling ingredients in a large bowl, toss to combine, and set aside.
- Make the crumble topping: Mix oats, flour and sugar in a bowl. Melt butter, and pour into dry mixture and mix (sometimes I just use my fingers to make sure it's well combined).
- Transfer strawberry and rhubarb filling into a cast iron skillet or a baking dish, top with the crumble, and bake in the oven for about 40-45 minutes, or until the crumble is slightly crisp and golden brown. Let cool for about 15 minutes to let it set completely .
Did you make this recipe?
I want to see your delicious creation! Leave me a comment below, and share a photo and tag me on Instagram and be sure to use the hashtag, #whatannieseating !