Summer is upon us – queue the backyard dinner parties, nights of grilling, and beach picnics! I look forward to summer produce every year, and peaches in particular are one of my absolute favorites. Delicious in savory and sweet dishes alike – perfectly ripe peaches are the quintessential summer ingredient, which is why SquareMealRoundTable and I decided to organize another seasonal collaboration, #summerlovespeaches! We’ve collaborated with other food bloggers, chefs, and Instagrammers all over the world to to showcase recipes highlighting peaches, so be sure to check out their blogs and social media profiles below to see all of the fabulous and creative ways everyone is using peaches! You’ll find everything from buttery peach gallettes, smoky peach mole sauce to pair with grilled chicken, to vegan peach desserts, and more!
My recipe is this colorful and insanely delicious peach and heirloom tomato panzanella salad. Panzanella salad originated in Tuscany as a way to use up the last scraps of stale bread, and it is typically tossed with tomatoes and dressed with oil and vinegar. My version combines juicy summer peaches, heirloom tomatoes, homemade croutons, burrata and a few simple garnishes. The peaches and tomatoes really shine with a drizzle of olive oil, a pinch of flaky salt, a squeeze of lemon, and some freshly chopped basil (or mint if you have it). If you want to make this a little lighter, feel free to omit the croutons, and/or the burrata. As a note, omitting the croutons makes this recipe gluten free, and omitting the burrata makes it vegan.
- 1 and ½ lb Ripe peaches, cut into wedges
- 1 and ½ lb Ripe heirloom tomatoes, sliced into wedges or bite sized pieces
- 8 Ounces burrata cheese
- ½ small baguette, torn or sliced into bite size pieces
- Olive Oil
- Flaky Sea salt
- Freshly Cracked black pepper
- Fresh Basil
- Squeeze of lemon juice
- Preheat the oven to 425* F. Toss the baguette pieces in enough olive oil to coat, and spread onto a baking sheet. Season generously with salt and pepper, and bake until slightly golden brown. Remove from heat and set aside.
- While the croutons are toasting, slice the tomatoes and the peaches.
- Arrange the tomatoes, peaches, and croutons on a large platter or in a large serving bowl. Break up the burrata cheese and arrange the pieces on top of the salad. Top with a generous drizzle of olive oil, flaky salt, freshly cracked black pepper, a squeeze of lemon juice, and freshly chopped basil.
Join the fun – show us how you’re cooking, baking, and grilling with peaches this summer by sharing a photo of your delicious masterpiece and use the hashtag, #summerlovespeaches !
Did you make this recipe?
I want to see your delicious creation! Leave me a comment below, and share a photo and tag me on Instagram with the hashtag, #whatannieseating !