This recipe is a great example of how delicious and comforting a healthy meal can be. Packed with carrots, sweet potatoes, ginger, turmeric, lime, cilantro, and coconut milk for a little creaminess – this soup is pure health in a bowl (or a Le Cruset) and packs some serious flavor. This is the perfect soup for a dinner party or for a cozy night at home because you can easily throw it together on the stove top and let the simmering do the work. To blend this soup, a high-powered blender is great – I recently got a Vitamix blender as a gift and it works WONDERS and creates the most luscious and velvety texture!
Tweak this recipe according to your dietary preferences – I use chicken broth, but if you use vegetable broth you can easily make this as a vegetarian/vegan soup without skimping on any flavor. Also, as a note – turmeric stains very easily, so dress accordingly!!
- 2 Tablespoons olive oil or coconut oil
- 1 Yellow onion, roughly chopped
- 2 Cloves garlic, roughly chopped
- 3 Cups peeled + cubed sweet potato
- 3 and ½ Cups cubed carrot
- 3 Cups low-sodium broth (I used chicken broth, veggie broth makes this vegetarian and vegan, and tastes great)
- Pinch of salt
- 1 Teaspoon freshly grated ginger
- 1 Teaspoon ground turmeric
- ½ Lime, freshly juiced
- 2 Teaspoons roughly chopped cilantro
- Up to 1 Cup Unsweetened coconut milk
- Freshly chopped cilantro
- Freshly squeezed lime juice
- Crushed red chili flakes
- Optional: Toasted nuts, such as almonds, for some texture
- On medium heat, sweat the onion and garlic in olive or coconut oil in a stock pot or enameled dutch oven.
- Add the cubed sweet potatoes and carrots to your pot with the broth and a pinch of salt, bring to a boil, and let simmer for about 25 minutes.
- Once simmered, add the ginger, turmeric, lime juice, and cilantro to the pot, and blend everything in a blender or with an immersion blender until smooth, gradually adding up to 1 cup of coconut milk to desired consistency.
- Serve! Top individual bowls with more chopped cilantro, freshly squeezed lime juice, and crushed red chili flakes.
Did you make this recipe?
I want to see your delicious creation! Leave me a comment below, and share a photo and tag me on Instagram with the hashtag, #whatannieseating !