I’ve been making this green smoothie on repeat recently because it’s such a quick way to get me back on track when I’m feeling tired, or if I’m in need of a serious detox! This smoothie is packed with nutrient dense greens, lemon juice, freshly grated ginger, apple, celery, cucumber, water, and frozen pineapple – which makes for an extremely refreshing and delicious breakfast, midday pick-me-up, or even a late night snack if I have a sweet tooth. The flavors in this smoothie remind me of something I would pick up at a juicery, but it’s so much more cost effective. Plus, I swear drinking this helps my skin glow and makes my hair shine – it’s nourishing from the inside out!
Whip this up before work, an exercise class, a day with your kiddos, or anytime you want a tasty and rejuvenating drink, and enjoy! This recipe yields about 2 and a half cups of smoothie, which is about 2 servings. I have one glass right after prepping the smoothie, and typically refrigerate the second portion in a sealed mason jar and save it for when I need a quick boost. As a note, I like to use organic produce for this recipe, since I blend everything with the skin on, as that’s where the majority of the nutrients are. If not organic, I’d recommend peeling the apple and celery, but that is just a personal preference!
- 1 Cup water
- ½ Freshly juiced lemon
- 1 and ½ Cups of greens (Spinach, or mixed greens like: baby kale/baby spinach/baby chard)
- 1 Apple or pear, roughly chopped
- 2 Celery ribs, roughly chopped
- ½ Cup cucumber, roughly chopped (if using a high powered blender, keeping the skin on is ok, otherwise I would recommend peeling the cucumber if it has a thicker skin)
- ½ Cup frozen pineapple
- ½ Teaspoon freshly grated ginger
- 1 Teaspoon chia seeds
- Optional: Scoop of Avocado or Greek Yogurt if you want to make a creamier smoothie
- Blend the water, lemon juice, and greens in a blender until smooth. *If you blend everything together at once the greens don’t blend very well (unless you have a high-powered blender) and the smoothie can get chunky, blending the greens with the liquid first helps avoid that.
- Gradually add the apple, celery, cucumber, pineapple, grated ginger, and chia seeds until smooth/to your desired consistency.
- If you want a thicker or creamier smoothie, add a spoonful of ripe avocado or greek yogurt. If you want a thinner smoothie, slowly add more water until blended to desired consistency.
- Serve! Save and refrigerate the leftover smoothie in a sealed container and enjoy at a later time!
Did you make this recipe?
I want to see your delicious creation! Leave me a comment below, and share a photo and tag me on Instagram with the hashtag, #whatannieseating !