Still thinking about which easy and delicious appetizer to contribute to your holiday parties this season? I’ve got you covered! This simple recipe for roasted butternut squash, prosciutto, and arugula bruschetta is incredibly flavorful and it’s the perfect addition to any menu.
I’ve made this recipe a few times recently when we’ve had friends over for dinner and it’s been a hit every time. I especially love making this dish when entertaining because I can roast the butternut squash ahead of time and it’s ready to go when I want to throw this appetizer together. I am a sucker for anything that I can make ahead! A day or so before, roast the butternut squash with a sliced shallot, and once it’s tender and golden brown, mash it in a bowl with some lemon, salt, pepper and red chili flakes. Once you assemble the brushetta, the combination of the concentrated and caramelized butternut squash is so deliciously balanced with the prosciutto, arugula, and a healthy squeeze of lemon juice.
- 5 Cups cubed butternut squash (You can buy pre-peeled and cut as a great shortcut, two 12 oz bags would work)
- 1 Shallot, cut lengthwise
- Juice of ½ lemon
- 1 Baguette (A round sourdough loaf works great for this)
- Prosciutto, thinly sliced (you can find this pre sliced at most grocery stores)
- Red chili flakes
- Preheat oven to 400*.
- Toss butternut squash and chopped shallot in olive oil, a pinch of salt, and pepper and arrange on a lined baking sheet. Roast until slightly browned and tender, about 25 to 30 mins.
- While the squash is roasting, prepare the bread by either toasting on a baking sheet in the heated oven until just slightly golden brown, or grilling (my personal favorite). If grilling the bread, brush a little olive oil on both sides of each bread slice, and grill the bread for 3-4 minutes on each side until you get some good lookin' grill marks (either on a stovetop grillpan, which I often use, or an actual grill).
- Once the squash and shallot have roasted, transfer to a bowl and mash so it becomes spreadable. Add the juice of ½ lemon, a generous pinch of salt, freshly cracked pepper, and red chili flakes and stir to incorporate all the ingredients.
- Once the bread has toasted/grilled, top each piece of bread with a scoop of the mashed butternut squash, a small handful of arugula, and a slice of prosciutto. Repeat for the rest of the bread and arrange on a large platter or serving board.
- Add another final squeeze of lemon, a pinch of salt, and freshly cracked pepper.