Strawberries have always been one of my favorite fruits – they are so sweet, bright, and juicy in the summer. This almond meal cake topped with lemon mascarpone whipped cream and juicy strawberries is the perfect end-of-summer homage to this tasty berry!
The almond meal and whole wheat flour in this cake impart such a hearty flavor and texture, the vanilla and honey lend a subtly sweet quality, and the lemony whipped mascarpone with the juicy strawberries perfectly pull it all together. This recipe is adapted from Sara Forte’s, The Sprouted Kitchen – I swapped out several cake ingredients depending on what I had in my pantry, and I added freshly grated lemon zest to the whipped mascarpone and it was so delicious!
- 3 Eggs
- 1 Tablespoon vanilla extract
- ¾ cup Greek Yogurt - I like Fage's nonfat Greek yogurt
- 3 Tablespoons unsalted butter, melted and cooled
- ¼ Cup honey
- 2 Cups almond meal
- ½ cup whole wheat flour
- ⅓ cup sugar
- Pinch of nutmeg (Optional)
- 1 Teaspoon baking soda
- ½ Teaspoon baking powder
- ¾ teaspoon salt
- Whipped Topping:
- 1 Cup heavy cream
- 1 Tablespoon sugar
- ½ Tablespoon vanilla extract
- ½ cup mascarpone cheese
- Zest of ½ lemon
- Pinch of salt
- 2 Cups sliced strawberries
- Toasted sliced almonds
- Preheat the oven to 325*.
- Grease a 9-inch round cake pan and line the bottom with parchment paper.
- In one bowl, whisk eggs, and then add in vanilla, yogurt, honey, and cooled melted butter - whisk again. In another bowl, mix the almond meal, whole wheat flour, sugar, baking soda, baking powder, and salt (and optional - pinch of nutmeg and/or cinnamon).
- Mix wet ingredients with dry ingredients and pour into cake pan.
- Bake for about 25 minutes or until golden brown - until a knife inserted into the center of the cake comes out clean. Set aside to cool completely, and place onto a cooling rack.
- While the cake is cooling, whip the cream until it begins to thicken (I used my kitchen aid standing mixer - a handheld mixer would work great, too), then add in the sugar, vanilla, and lemon zest and beat until fluffy. Beat in the mascarpone and a pinch of salt.
- Once the cake has cooled, top it with the lemon mascarpone whipped cream, sliced strawberries, and a handful of toasted sliced almonds. Bon appetit!
Did you make this recipe?
I want to see your delicious creation! Leave me a comment below, and share a photo and tag me on Instagramwith the hashtag, #whatannieseating !